If you ask me, I’m a huge, huge fan of Jammin Java’s chocolate chip ice cream. It’s just too perfect for me. Once you eat it, you get addicted and then you won’t like any other. A;ways craving for it. It’s just one of those things i never say, NO! Oh yeah 🙂 Whenever chocolate chip ice cream comes to my mind, Jammin Java it is.
Having said that. Last year I stumbled upon this recipe below and thought I should just give it a shot. And boy it was good! So good that I even compared and rated it the same stars, as my all time favorite Jammin Java’s chocolate chip has. So that pretty much means that this summer, you just gotta make this one. And the best part is you don’t need a machine for it.
Yes, no ice cream machine required, ain’t that grand 🙂
What you need>>>
Semi-sweet chocolate—– 3 1/2 oz, finely chopped
Granulated sugar———–3/4 cups + 2 tbsp extra
Cocoa powder————–1/4 cup + 3 tbsp extra
Milk————————— 2 cups
Water————————- 2 tsp
How it’s made>>>
- Place the chocolate in a large bowl. Set a fine- strainer (sieve) over the bowl, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the yolks and 3/4 cup of the sugar until slightly paler in color. Add the cocoa and whisk until a paste forms.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a boil over medium heat. Whisking constantly, slowly pour the milk into the cocoa mixture, and whisk until smooth. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 3 minutes.
- Strain the hot mixture onto the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Place the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and the water in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Continue to cook, without stirring, until the caramel is dark brown, swirling the pan occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat. Immediately pour the caramel into the chocolate mixture, whisking constantly. If any caramel solidifies, strain the mixture.
- Let cool, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for several hours, or overnight.
- Place the ice cream base in a container, and freeze. For a firmer texture, transfer to a covered container and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
There you have it, You’re own homemade BEST chocolate ice cream ever. You and your family will simply love it.