Who doesn’t like fool proof recipes (psst it was rhetoric question so that’s why you didn’t see a question mark 😉 khekhekhe)
Got this recipe from Rida Aftab’s show “Tarka”. My sister-in-law and her family were visiting that night. I wanted to try this recipe out so I took chicken out of the freezer (halal) and followed the recipe.
Once the curry was cooking to perfection I could just see and smell at the same time (thank God for that) that it was going to be family favorite. And I was proven all RIGHT when the dish made it to the dinning table. “Love it” was their response 🙂 and I loved seeing them “lovin’ it”. So much Lovin’ here, hell yeah! 😀
The only thing I changed about Rida Aftab’s recipe is that since we had kids over too, so I didn’t wanna fill up green chillies with lemon juice. Instead I diced three green chillies and threw the lemon juice along with ’em in the gravy.
What you need
Chicken with bones————— 1/2 kg
Red chili powder—————— 2 tsp
Salt——————————- 1 tsp
Kalonji (nigella seeds)————- 1 tsp
Yogurt—————————- 1 cup
Onions—————————- 2 medium, blend into a paste
Green chillies——————— 10
Lemon juice———————– 2 tbsp
Chart masala———————- 1 tbsp
Saunf (fennel seeds)————— 1tsp
Turmeric powder—————— 1/2 tsp
Tomatoes————————– 2 large
Rai (Mustard seeds)————— 1 tsp
Garlic/ginger paste—————– 2 tsp
Oil———————————- 1/2 cup
How it’s made
- Blend yogurt and tomatoes together to make a paste, set aside.
- Take oil in pan, add onions paste and cook to pinkish color. Don’t brown it.
- Now throw in chicken and cover to 5 – 10 minutes. Till it turn golden brown.
- Add the yogurt + tomatoes paste along with garlic/ginger paste and stir.
- Add Red Chili powder, Turmeric powder, Kalonji, saunf, rai and salt, mix well and cover.
- Once the water in yogurt and tomato paste dries, cook chicken for 5- 10 minutes till oil comes out and the gravy is ready (Bhoonofy).
- Once done, add finely chopped green chillies, Chart masala and lemon juice.
- Give it a good stir ands your ready to serve.
For Achari Ghoost
The recipe is exactly the same except you have to add water after adding oil and onion paste along with meat. Cover your pan and once meat gets tender follow rest of the steps.