I call it “Chicken Jalfrezi for the lazy” because this recipe is super fast and dead simple. You just can’t go wrong with it. It’s perfect for those lazy days when you don’t feel like doing anything.
In Jalfrezi, chicken chunks should be juicy and tender, while the vegetables are still crunchy and fresh. In this recipe, I did not stir fry the vegetables, you can do that if you like. But, I think the vegetables lose their fresh colours and the crunchiness because of stir frying. So, it’s totally up to you.
It also doesn’t have much sauce/gravy, so if you are planning to make it for a dinner party, try to make some Mutton badami qorma, nehari or something which has gravy to go along. Here is my recipe for Mutton badami qorma. Lemme know if you like it.
I never, ever, ever cook my chicken jalfrezi without chart masala. I don’t care if the original recipe calls for it or not, I can’t imagine it without chart masala. It makes it more chat patta (spicy) and gives it a slight tangy touch. So, it’s totally optional.
You can make “Prawns Jalfrezi” the same way as this chicken jalfrezi. Devein prawns, clean and then rinse them nice and tenderly then follow the same guidelines as given below for chicken jalfrezi and your very own prawn jalfrezi will be ready in no time or some time :p
|Chicken Boneless||1/2 kg|
|Tomatoes||2, half inch cubed|
|Onions||2, half inch cubes|
|Capsicum||2, half inch cubes|
|Ginger||2 inch piece Julian|
|Red chili powder||1tsp|
|Mustard powder||1/2 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Black pepper powder||1/2 tsp|
|Worcestershire sauce||4 tsp|
|Soya Sauce||1 tsp|
|Chart Masala||1 tsp|
How it’s made
- Heat oil in a pan and add in lightly beaten egg with one tsp of salt. Break egg into small chunks, just like scrambled egg, take out and set aside.
- Now add in julian ginger.
- Sautee ginger and throw in chicken pieces.
- Once chicken pieces turn white, add in seasonings and sauces except tomato ketchup.
- Once all the flavors meld into the chicken sauce, add in tomato ketchup and after a boil, throw in vegetables.
- Add 1 cup of water and cover for 5-10 minutes.
- Cook till desired consistency has been achieved.
So, are you feeling lazy?
Have Chicken Jalfrezi 🙂