If you are in a hurry and looking for a quick fix, craving for something hot and spicy at the same time, then this Chili Chicken will definitely save your day. Juicy chicken pieces in hot and spicy, Chinese style gravy with chunks of onions and capsicum will definitely keep you nice and cosy in those chilly nights.
If you like, you can serve this Chili Chicken with Chicken Fried Rice. Otherwise the kick in the gravy is enough to be served with plain-boiled rice. The possibilities are endless though, if you are short of chicken, try serving this chili chicken with egg fried rice, vegetable rice, haray bharay rice or try my buttered garlic fried rice. I will try to post different rice recipes soon, insha Allah!
These Chicken Fried rice are simple yet packed with flavours. The neatly diced vegetables not only add splash of colour but are fresh, healthy and oh-so-delicious. A plate of these good-looking and delicious chicken fried rice is a complete meal in itself. Your kids will definitely be asking for more.
But please don’t let these chillies fool you. These are deadly. Definitely as hot as hell. I have no idea why I thought they were on the milder side. I was expecting guests, including kids, so I got careless and threw in six to seven of these into a single bowl of gravy. Imagine what kind of mind-blowing (literary) experience they would have had if I hadn’t tasted and altered it before serving.
Anyways, look at the bright side, this blunder taught me a few handy tips that you can benefit from as well. If you accidently add extra chillies into your gravy try adding:
- Milk or Yoghurt
- Sugar (only if sugar won’t ruin the main flavour of the gravy)
- Potatoes (mashed or chunks)
- Dilute the gravy and then thicken it with cornflour again
- And if nothing helps reduce the gravy as much as possible and then take out half of the gravy and freeze it for future use. And use the first half as base for new gravy.
What you need
Chicken breasts———————– thinly sliced 1/2 kg
Spring onion————————– finely chopped, green plus white part
Onion——————————— 1 large, cubed
Capsicum—————————– 2 cubed
Salt———————————– 1/2 tsp
White pepper————————- 1/2 tsp
Corn flour—————————– 1 tsp for coating chicken
Oil———————————— 1/4 cup or even less
Dried red chillies———————- 6-7 whole
Garlic cloves————————– 2-3 chopped
Salt———————————– as needed
Red chili powder———————- 1/2 tsp
Chili garlic sauce———————- 2 tbsp heaped
Soya sauce—————————- 1 tbsp
Water——————————— 2 cups
How it’s made
- Take your Julian chicken in a clean, dry bowl and crack open one egg into it.
- Now add salt, white pepper and corn flour and give everything a good mix ( deep fry immediately)
- Deep fry marinated chicken on high flame and take out when light golden in colour.
- Now take another pan, add in oil and sautee garlic. Then throw in chicken pieces along with the dried red chillies.
- Toss everything together.
- Now add in salt, red chili powder, white pepper powder and mix again.
- Add in water or chicken stock, whichever you like and bring it to a boil.
- Now add in chili garlic sauce, soya sauce and all of the vegetables (onions and capsicum)
- Mix corn flour with water and thicken the chicken chili sauce according to your own taste.
For Chicken Fried Rice
What you need
Oil————————————- 1/3 cup
Onion———————————- 2 tbsp finely chopped
Chicken——————————– 250 g small cubes
Garlic cloves ————————— 1 finely chopped
Ginger ——————————— 1 finely chopped
Rice———————————— 1/2 kg pre-boiled
Corn———————————– as needed, pre-boiled
Carrots———————————as needed, pre-boiled, small cubes
Peas———————————— as needed, pre-boiled
Salt————————————- 1/2 tsp
Vinegar——————————— 1/2 tsp
White pepper————————— 1 tbsp
Soya Sauce—————————— 3-4 tbsp
Spring onions————————— 2-3 green part, finely chopped
How it’s made
- Boil rice, 95 % done with 1 tbsp of salt.
- Separately, marinate chicken pieces in pinch of salt and black pepper, half of egg, 1 tsp of corn flour and deep fry. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Heat oil in a pan, sautee ginger/garlic paste and throw in onions.
- Give everything a good mix. Crack open two eggs into it and stir immediately to break the eggs into small pieces.
- Now add in fried chicken pieces along with the rest of the vegetables.
- Next add in seasonings along with the vinegar and give everything a good stir again.
- Throw in pre-boiled rice and pour soya sauce on top of them.
- Now gently move rice, for even coating but, be careful not to break them.
Enjoy your Chili Chicken with Chicken Fried Rice, emm emmm!
If you liked my post on Chili Chicken with Chicken Fried Rice then go ahead and share it on Facebook and Twitter. And to get free updates of my blog please do subscribe to my blog.