This was the forth time I made these pedas cum burfi cum milk sweet. The first time they were soft but the texture was really rough. The second time the texture was silky smooth but the sweets were as hard as rocks. Third time they were even harder than the second ones. After that I obviously didn’t wanna make ‘em anymore. I even thought maybe the recipe ain’t genuine.
So, I surfed the net again and all they had to offer were quick and easy ones made with condensed milk, or powdered milk whereas I wanted to make them with full cream milk, so we were back to square one.
I thought I just might give them a shot, once again. But, this time I cooked milk on slow flame, cooked it for one hour twenty minutes, until it was reduced to one cup. Then I added the sugar and stir stir I did. Checking after short intervals whether it was holding its shape or not ona greased tray. And then finally they did, yay! Couldn’t believe ma eyes but they are soft, milky and delicious. I wrapped them in transparent sheet and impressed my family.
I’ll be making more of these very soon. I took the recipe from Aayi’s blog, her post might be a wee bit lengthy but worth reading.
What you need>>>
Whole milk————————————- 4 cups
Granulated sugar—————————— 1 cup
Powdered cardamom————————- 1/2 tsp
Ghee——————————————– 2 tbsp to grease your tray
How it’s made>>>
- First you gotta boil milk on slow flame stirring occasionally and reduce it to 1 cup. It took me approximately one and a half hour to do so.
- Once milk is thick and creamy and reduced to 1 cup, add sugar and mix well. Stir constantlly till the mixture turns light pinkish/ brownish and when tested onto a greased tray holds its shape.
- Spread the mixture on a greased tray and let it sit there for a while till it cools down and can be handles with hand easily. Don’t let it cool for any longer than5 minutes or it will start to get harder from outside. Shape them as you want. I made them in a toffee, sweet shape, wrapped them in transparent shape.
- If you overcook it, it will get too hard to eat once it cools.
- If you cook for less time, then it will not hold its shape.
So for all you newbie out there, this is a somewhat difficult recipe, candy and sweet making always has been so if you wanna impress your guests or family or maybe prove to yourself that you can cook, don’t try to make doodh pedas. Try some other desserts first, like cream caramel, trifle or something ok?