The combination of chocolate and coffee is known as “mocha”. These mocha butterfly cakes are filled with Butter Icing and dusted with icing sugar.
Made these for my daughter’s 2nd birthday party last November 🙂
All you need>>>
Butter———————– 4 oz or 100g, softened
Light brown sugar——– 4 oz or 100g
Coffee———————– 1 1/2 tsp granules or powder
Flour———————— 3 oz or 75 g
Baking powder————- 3/4 tsp
Cocoa powder————- 1 1/2 oz or 25 g
Warm water————— 1 tsp
How it’s made>>>
- Preheat the oven at 180 C.
- Put butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Break the eggs in another small bowl and whisk a little with a fork.
- Put the coffee into a cup with the warm water and stir them together. Add them to the eggs then.
- Put the egg mixture into the butter mixture, a little at a time and beat well after every addition.
- Sift the flour, salt, cocoa powder and baking powder together and fold it into the main bowl.
- Put the batter into the prepared cupcake cases or greased cupcakes tray and bake for 15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Once done leave them in the tray for 5 minutes and then remove.
- Once cooled down. Take a sharp knife and cut a circle from the top of each cake. Then cut each circle into half to make butterfly’s wings.
- Fill the circle with butter icing and gently push the wings back onto the cupcakes at an angel.
- Sift a little icing sugar on top and there you have it 🙂
Instead of butterfly cakes, you can make “top hat” cakes as well. Just press the circles you cut from the cake, straight onto the butter icing, without cutting it.