This Singaporean rice dish is a STAR. It’s here to entertain you. It’s got that look, it’s got that feel, it’ll be your new best friend for eternity. You can show-it-off, tell your friends about it. It’s got the style, the oomph! It’s here for YOU. It’s going to make you famous!
This Singaporean Rice dish is perfect for parties, lunches and big events. It’s something different from your regular biryanis and gravies. And a definite must, MUST addition in your weekly menu planner. It’s got aromatic rice, spicy chicken chunks, crunchy veggies, noddles and thick gravy on top of a mayonnaise dressing. A perfect treat if you want to please.
A platter of Singaporean rice has got everything. On a bed of aromatic rice there lay some spicy chicken chunks, noddles and thick flavorsome gravy. Drizzled with some dreamy-creamy mayonnaise dressing on top. A perfect treat if you want to please. Sab Kuch tou hai issmay
The recipe for Singaporean Rice has four main components:
- Chicken meat
You don’t need to marinate the chicken for too long, half an hour is good enough. You also don’t need to add tandoori color to the marinated chicken. I made the mistake, later all the veggies turned red as well :S Next time I won’t add any, insha Allah or maybe very little amount - just a pinch. You can think of it as something like Singaporean Biryani. Same as biryani, this Singaporean Rice dish is a complete meal in itself. Which basically means that you don’t need to serve any supporting gravy, raita or even salad with it. It’s perfect just the way it is. Perfect! I added a few drops of yellow color into the water before boiling noodles into it. That color gave these spaghetti a beautiful summery yellow color. Next I’m gonna show you how to assemble the dish, easy, ‘eh? Assembling the Singaporean Rice
- Make a bed of the boiled rice.
- Add some of the chicken + veggies + noodles mix.
- Drizzle a generous amount of sauce.
- Add rest of the chicken + veggies + noodles mix.
- Top it off with some thinly sliced golden fried garlic cloves and fried green chillies (I didn’t add any garlic, just the green chillies)
This recipe has been adapted from Shireen Anwer’s Singaporean Rice recipe.
- For Marinating Chicken
- Chicken Boneless————- 1 kg, one inch cubes
- Garlic paste——————– 1 tsp
- Ginger paste——————- 1 tsp
- Salt——————————- 1½ tsp
- Crushed red chillies———– 1 tsp
- Crushed black pepper——– 1 tsp
- Chili Sauce———————- 2 tbsp
- Soya sauce——————— 2 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup————— 4 tbsp
- For Cooking Chicken
- Oil——————————— ¼ cup
- Julian ginger——————– 1 inch piece
- Corn flour———————– 1 tbsp or as needed
- Water—————————- 3 tbsp to make corn flour solution
- Spaghetti———————— 1 pack boiled
- Carrots————————— 2 large, ½ inch cubed
- Capsicum———————— 2 large, ½ inch cubed
- Tomatoes———————— 2large, ½ inch cubed, de-seeded
- Onion—————————– 2 large, ½ inch cubed
- Cabbage————————- 2 cup, ½ inch cubed
- For the Rice
- Rice——————————- ½ kg
- Black cumin——————— 1 tsp
- White cumin——————— 1 tsp
- Star anise———————— 4
- Salt——————————– 1½ tbsp or as needed
- For the sauce
- Mayonnaise———————- 1 cup
- Tomato Ketchup—————- 8 tbsp
- Vinegar————————— 4 tbsp
- Caster sugar——————— 2 tsp
- Crushed red chillies———— 1 tsp
- Salt——————————– 1 pinch
- For the rice
- Soak rice in water half an hour before.
- Take oil in a pot, add black cumin, white cumin and star anise and give everything a good stir.
- Now add the rice into it and stir gently. Add salt.
- Add enough water to cook the rice, cover. (As a rule of thumb you to cook rice, you only add enough water that it’s one inch above the rice, cover it then, till water starts to dry. Stir once gently, add salt to taste and reduce the flame to dum) Set cooked rice aside.
- For the Sauce
- Mix all the ingredients of the sauce into the mayonnaise, give everything a good mix and set aside.
- For the spaghetti
- Boiled spaghetti in boiling hot water.
- Once done, drain, wash with regular tap water, set aside.
- For the chicken
- Pat the chicken pieces dry and throw them into a clean and dry bowl.
- Now add all the seasonings into the chicken and marinate it for one hour.
- Now take oil in a pan and throw in thinly julian ginger saute ginger then add the marinated chicken to it. Stir to mix, and then cover it, till the chicken gets cooked- nice and tender. (If it gets too dry, add ½ cup of water, cover again).
- Once chicken is half done, throw in all of the veggies (carrots, capsicum, cabbage, tomato, onion).
- Veggies should remain crunchy yet tender.
- Now add the corn flour solution ( 1 tbsp of corn flour into 3 tbsp water) to thicken the very little sauce.
- Stir in the pre-boiled spaghetti.
- Cook on low flame for 5 more minutes, check seasonings and it’s done.
- Final Assembly
- Half of chicken plus spaghetti plus veggies
- Remaining half of chicken plus spaghetti plus veggies
If you enjoyed reading my post on ” Singaporean Rice “, please do share it with your family and friends at home and other networks like Facebook and twitter. And if you would like to receive FREE updates of my blog and daily recipes like ” Singaporean Rice “, please do subscribe to my blog.
If you are into baking, and want to bake a perfect cake at home, join my FREE e-course and start baking.