Oh this you just gotta try, GOTTA. Can’t emphasis enough, because this is Stuffed chicken with cheese served with pineapple sauce, ring a bell (tring tring). If you live in Lahore, I am sure you must have tried it at the Salt n Pepper chain, I have yet to meet someone who hasn’t. I always order this from Salt N Pepper.
So, today I decided to go ahead and try my hand at it. It was kinda technical but nothing we can’t handle ya know Since you are stuffing cheese and butter into the chicken fillets, you just need to make sure that the coating on the fillet is well packed. Pat it nicely so no open space is left in between and then simply deep fry.
What you need
This recipe is for preparing one stuffed chicken fillet. Yes you’ll be needing a whole egg mix batter for each fillet. It ain’t that bad, after all you pay much more bucks at the restaurant for the same mouth-watering meal.
For the marination and filling of One fillet
Chicken breast fillets———————- 1
Salted butter—————————— 1/2 tbsp
Cheese slices——————————1 slice (cheddar cheese)
Black pepper—————————— pinch
Meat Tenderizer————————– 1/4 tsp
Sugar————————————- 1 tsp
Soya Sauce——————————- 1 tbsp
Oregano or coriander——————— 1/2 tsp
For the Batter
All-purpose flour————————– 2 tbsp
Soya Sauce——————————– 1 tbsp
Salt————————————— 1/4 tsp
Black pepper—————————— pinch
For the Pineapple Sauce
I doubled the recipe when I made it (and it’s still lying in the fridge even after three-four days lol)
Pineapple Juice—————————- 1/2 cup
Chicken Stock—————————– 1/2 cup
Sugar————————————– 2 tbsp
Worschestershire Sauce——————– 1/2 tbsp
Carrots———————————– 1 thinly
Cucumber——————————– 1 thinly sliced
Salt————————————— 1/2 tsp
White pepper—————————– 1/4 tsp
Black pepper—————————– 1/4 tsp
How it’s made
For the Marination
- Clean your chicken fillets and remove any fat over them.
- Now pat them dry, it is very important that your chicken fillets should be completely dry for all the flavours to absorb into them.
- Now marinate your fillet in salt, black pepper, soya sauce, meat tenderizer and sugar on both sides and leave them for an hour at least, overnight gives the best results (I marinated them for an hour though, had little time on my hand).
For the Filling
- Now take your marinating fillet and with the help of a sharp, pointy knife, slit open your chicken fillet only 3/4 around the edges, try to make a pocket.
- Avoid going too close to the edges because then it’ll be difficult for you to handle them and later pack them. Take much caution and time to make the pocket, because it is THAT important.
- Now pack the pocket with one whole slice of cheddar cheese and 1/2 tbsp of salted butter.
- Sprinkle oregano or finely chopped coriander into the pocket as well.
- Now try to close, press gently and close the mouth of the pocket with gentle pressure from your fingers and then press lightly on the top side of the fillet to fit everything nicely and easy in there.
For Coating batter
- Take a clean dry bowl, crack open one egg.
- Throw in 2 levelled tbsp of flour.
- Now add in salt, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce and give everything a good mix.
- No need to add water or milk into the batter. The batter will be slightly thick in consistency, leave it that way.
- Now take your marinated-stuffed fillet and coat it into corn flour. Coat it nicely, just about everything, see the image above for assistance.
- Once coated, dust gently and then carefully coat it into the prepared batter.
- Try not to leave any uncoated space on the fillet. Handle the fillet with care and coat on both sides.
- Once done, now carefully lift your fillet and coat it into breadcrumbs. Again, apply breadcrumbs just about everywhere, leave no space. And lastly, pat the breadcrumbs onto your fillet so they may stick to the batter on the fillet.
- Now’s the time for deep frying, deep fry in hot oil on medium heat till golden brown on both sides.
- Take out on a kitchen paper and pat yourself on the shoulder for all your effort and pulling off such a delicious, mouth-watering meal.
For the pineapple Sauce
- Take chicken stock in your saucepan ( I used Knorr chicken cube – the short cut to chicken stock hehehe), throw in rest of the ingredients.
- Stir to mix.
- Throw in carrots and cucumber.
- Once they are tender, thicken your sauce with cornflour + water mix (as need maybe).
Serve your Cheese Stuffed Chicken with pineapple sauce and hot and crispy French fries. You can serve it at lunch/ dinner or even with evening tea.