This cake is a breeze. No seriously, I have tried many recipes of cold cake but this one is “the one“. The cold cake you get in the end is soft, chewy and super easy to make. This is pure comfort food, I won’t mind making it for every tea. This super easy Chocolate fridge cake can he a tremendous crowd pleaser. My 5 year old and 2 years old daughters simply loved it and they couldn’t have enough of it.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it uses Cocoa powder instead of chocolate. So, that’s even more good news, making it light on the pocket as well.
Did you know that Prince William had a “Chocolate Fridge Cake” for his wedding, hell yeah he did. Chocolate Fridge Cake is his favourite cake, so much so he had it as a wedding cake. Sure it is an unconventional choice for a wedding cake but do not underestimate the flavours and simplicity of this beautiful, flavoursome cake. This was his cake in case you missed it.
You can shape it into a cylinder, square, rectangle or just about any shape you like. I like to have it in a rectangle shape or cut them into tiny bite sized square so that every can can have a taste of it.
What you need
Butter—————————– 6 oz
Sugar—————————— 10 tsp
Cocoa powder——————— 1 tbsp
Marie biscuits——————— 1 pack, finely crushed
Sultanas————————— 100 g optional
Nuts——————————- as many as you like, optional
How it’s made
- Over a double boiler, bain Marie or water bath, melt butter.
- Now throw in everything except the biscuits, sultanas and nuts.
- Keep stirring till sugar dissolves and eggs do not curdle, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now stir occasionally, and cook till the mixture gets thick. It will take around 10-15 minutes.
- Once done through in the crushed biscuits, nuts and sultanas and give it a good mix.
- Wrap the mixture in lightly greased cling wrap, place it in a small rectangle loaf tin if you like or shape it as you please and pop it into the freezer for 3-4 hours.
- Once it is hard as rock, keep it in the fridge and enjoy as you please.
- My kids loved it and the whole batch was finished in a matter of minutes, so might wanna double the recipe for a bigger family.